Friday, March 18, 2005

Improv Class Must Be Helping

So, I went to a callback for the Illinois Lottery yesterday and kicked arse!! There were a few people there way before their scheduled time. I came five minutes before my appointment, so I had to wait for all these earlybirds to go ahead of me. I sensed that they were very antsy about getting some work. You could just see it in their actions.

Fortunately, I was the only Asian guy in the bunch. It was a room full of white folks, Hispanic folks, one black guy and me.

Then, after a few hours, my agent calls and says they want to put me "on avail." What does that mean? It means they really, really like you. And at some point, they might even hire you for the job. But until then, sit tight and worry your arse off about it.

I've learned that these things can go either way. A few years ago, I did a Nissan commercial for Japan. The production staff had inadvertently left a posterboard up with all the different casting possibilities. Consequently, I saw who the second and third choices were. What's more is that I knew all of them. So, when one of these guys talked about how bummed he was that he didn't get the spot, I spoke very gingerly to him about the mistake they made and that I had done the spot.

Anyway, I'll be sitting on pins and needles for a while. It's not a national spot, so the pins and needles won't be so sharp, but it's work nevertheless, and work is always appreciated.

I also have an audition for the second of those SBC spots I helped write. Very interesting, eh? I gotta go make myself look 40ish now. I'm supposed to have a 13-year-old son!

No comments: