Thursday, March 10, 2005

Dilemma

So, I'm scheduled to board a flight tomorrow at 2:55 pm for Seattle. Unfortunately, I have two auditions tomorrow: Illinois State Lottery at 2 pm and Microsoft at 2:55 pm. What to do....

Before I make up my mind, I have to say that yesterday's improv session went pretty well. And I'm not just talking about me. No, everyone did damn well in yesterday's class. Also, it looks like everyone who showed up for the first class stayed in it, including the pretty girl who kills the English language. Actually, I'm proud of her. She knows it's difficult for her. In fact, yesterday, she was hesitant to go up for a character development exercise. Sitting next to her, I encouraged her. She did fine. I went twice during this exercise and had a blast, even though I doubt I was very funny or good in either of my tries.

But there's something encouraging about it. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's the instructors. They even said that they were "talking us up" to some of the veteran classes about how "good" we were for such beginners. But I do feel that after a few more weeks, we'll be way more comfortable and way better at this stuff. Also, I don't know if I mentioned it but we are supposed to do a public performance at the end of April. I was very apprehensive at this idea before. Now, I don't feel so scared. Well, I am scared still, but it's like I've already committed to bungee jumping off that canyon bridge, and now that I'm strapped in the harness, I gotta go through with it.

The thing that this class is helping me most with is the idea of COMMITMENT. Yeah, in bold capital letters. That's something I probably lacked in a lot of things. Improv forces you to make a choice and stay with it. And then forces you to set an objective and ride that baby right through the tunnel. So, this stuff is really helping me with auditions.

Today, I went in for a Sony Ericsson (is it Ericcson or Ericsson?) commercial audition. Had to sing a line in Japanese from the song, Close to You, by the Carpenters. I think I did pretty well, despite the fact that I'm fricking illiterate in Japanese.

So, with tomorrow, that should put my week at, let's see, five auditions, including two separate print calls for Microsoft. This is one of the busiest weeks I've had in a while.

And while we're on the subject, yeah, I'll probably be late for my flight tomorrow and hope they'll put me on the next one. They do that, don't they?

Tonight, I'm going to go hear an agent talk about his new book, which is all about being a Hollywood theatrical agent. But not the kind of agent that represents A-listers. Just a regular agent working for a regular agency full of regular ol' actors. Apparently, his book is full of anecdotes about actors, which should be insightful as hell. I'll probably toss him a headshot after he talks. What the hell, why not? I'm about to take a leap next month anyway.

No comments: