Monday, February 07, 2005

Superbowl Ads

I sat with a bowl of chips, some barbequed drumettes, Rolling Rock and Heineken (in a can) and watched the Superbowl with about 50 million other people around the country. (Oh yeah, I had some friends in the room as well.) And while we all watched a pretty good match (and some screw-ups by the Eagles coach), there was the main attraction for me -- and I'm not talking about Paul McCartney's medley of songs (many of which, by the way, are owned by Michael Jackson).

They were the Superbowl ads. Those sometimes hilarious, oftentimes bizarre, 30 seconds of infotainment that occasionally leave an impression of what they were trying to pitch. (Way too many damn Pepsi ads in the first half, eh?) But I wasn't watching just for the entertainment aspect -- nay! I was hoping (desperately) to see some sort of footage of me driving a Ford Five Hundred in one of the many Ford ads that aired. After all, they did sponsor much of the first half.

Well, it looks like I won't see a Superbowl-sized residual check any time soon. Boo hoo... Guess I'll just have to be content with the holding fees, cable use fees and occasional other fees that SAG charges the advertiser. Sure, I know, I did one day of work and it keeps paying from time to time. I also know that these checks mean that Ford wants to exclude me from working in any other car ad.

Well, there's always the NBA All-Star game.

No comments: