Thursday, March 08, 2007

Oh Lard-o Here

You know, I don’t know when it was I became such a lard ass. It must’ve been sometime between my 30s and 40s. The exact time and date eludes me, however.

I started doing this cleanse on Monday and now, what, three days later, I’m down by about 6 or 7 pounds. Yeah, I know this is mostly water weight, but I’m surprised by how much weight I’m down, yet I STILL look like a lard ass. Particularly in the torso. There’s just too much blubber down there.

I was working out in the gym today, pretty hard actually. I worked out yesterday, too. I don’t do too strenuous of a workout. Usually, it’s just a 20-minute ride on the cycle to warm up the body. Then I head to the free weights area for a light circuit training routine. And when I say “light,” I mean Heineken Premium Light. We’re talking about 5 sets of dumbbell press and butterfly press using 20-pound weights; and 5 light sets of rows on the Cybex machine, followed by 5 light sets on the lat pull. Then I’ll finish off with either some light tricep pulls or chest press on the machine.

I always end with sit-ups and 20-25 minutes on the treadmill, mostly just fast walking. Today, I felt good enough to do some light jogging, but I really just enjoy the fast walking.

My cousin in Seattle gave me some good tips on working out, particularly in doing a balanced workout. He said if you just concentrate on chest, it’ll throw your back out of balance, and vice-versa. So, I tend to do both areas on the same workout day. Since I don’t use very heavy weights, I’ll even do the same workout two or three days in a row. Plus, I never know when I’ll be able to get to the gym.

Right now, I’m writing this from my girlfriend’s downtown loft, which is equipped with a pretty nice gym, not to mention being empty most of the time. My membership at Bally’s ran out in September and it couldn’t have been sooner. That place is just too crowded for the money you pay. Plus, I got my wallet stolen from a locker. It’s just not worth it for me to pay to get ripped off and frustrated.

My print agent just called and asked if I had a theatrical agent. I said no, so she gave me some info on a casting for tomorrow. It’s nonunion but since I’m not doing anything very productive, I might as well see what it’s about. And hey, if it pays anything, I can always renounce my union membership, or what is called “Financial Core.” This just means you are declaring yourself both a member and independent of the Screen Actors Guild. You still pay the dues, still get any residual income you’re due, but you don’t get voting privileges. Who cares about that?

This past award season, I hardly got any freebies such as DVDs and screenings, so I don’t really care about that stuff. Anyway, we’ll see what this casting is all about tomorrow. It’s at CBS.

No comments: