Sunday, March 12, 2006

W...

As in hotel, that is. And yeah, it's pretty wow. What a beautiful suite those Verizon folks had.

It was a very painless fitting session. Got paid for it, too. That's a nice little bonus. But did I get the job?

Today, I got a call that I was still on "strong avail." I thought it was kind of weird since they kept the suit I brought in, along with my shoes. I thought that was a pretty good sign it was a done deal.

So I mentioned that to my agent, and a few hours later, it was confirmed. I got the job.

Unfortunately, booking jobs now presents a bit of a problem for me at work. I'm on salary, not hourly. So I'm supposed to be in the office. Fortunately, however, this office doesn't need me there every minute of the day. As proofreading goes, the job isn't as demanding as many other jobs I've had, both with time and the work involved.

Still, though, I've only been there about a month and I'm already asking for a day off. They said I could take a day of "leave." Which is fine with me. I don't expect to get paid for a day I didn't work. But then I brought up the fact that I was in an airport on a Sunday morning on my way to Texas a couple weeks ago. Does that not qualify for a "comp day"?

When I asked that question, it was like I had said something taboo. I guess salaried workers aren't supposed to get comp days. But it was just a question and it seems I opened a can of worms for the HR dept. Not what I had planned.

This really isn't that interesting to talk about, nor read, I know. But it's just what happens when you try to work a day job and have a side career in acting or modeling. There will always be situations that have to be worked out.

About 15 years ago, I caused a problem at an old job at a TV station by taking a leave of absence. I ended up getting canned for it. That was a rookie mistake, in my opinion. I learned some big lessons. For one, there's a way to do things, and there's a way to get fired. I don't plan on getting fired from my job. Not yet, anyway.

Personally, I'm mentally done with the modeling anyway. I could give it up in a heartbeat. Maybe that's why I'm auditioning so much. When I'm hoping and praying for work, I never seem to get any. Now that I don't need it or want it, I get busy in it. What a stupid life I lead. I'm not saying I'm superstitious, but it's just how it always seems to happen for me.

On the other hand, I'm not that desperate for my office job, either. I like it, but I've never been one for office politics or having to make my office job the most important thing in my life. That, to me, isn't what life is about. But I do enjoy the day-to-day challenges this job and my side stuff present to me. It's all about how to handle the situation in front of me.

Next week, I go back to Texas for a couple of days. Then there's the possibility I may have to work that Microsoft gig. Even though it pays very well, I'm sort of hoping I don't get the job. One dilemma a month is about all I can handle right now.

Sometimes, I wish I could just go run home to Mom.

No comments: