Sunday, March 12, 2006

Club Hollywood

So I'm at this club tonight called Jimmy's, which used to be El Centro. Nice place. The patio area is really cool, especially if you're not into the hip-hop scene, which is what they play on the dance floor. Sometimes I wish I was still into it, because there's some hotties groovin' to it. But for some reason, probably because I'm more into electronic music now, I just can't swing it.

I'm there for a birthday party for, like, eleven people. It's a good crowd, I gotta admit. But I'd rather chill outside. Plus, I'm wearing a sort of "car coat" with a hood on the back. It's wool, and not the best thing to wear inside a club.

By then, I had already had three shots of Patron Silver, a few beers and some good BBQ at an earlier party. Anyway, I'm feeling it. I get inside and hang out with some Cold Tofu folks. There's a lot of them tonight, too.

At some point, I'm talking to one of my close friends and a guy comes up, taps me on the shoulder and says hello. He also compliments me on my coat.

This would be a non-story, but many of you have probably seen this guy in a few movies lately. In fact, he's been in all the American Pie movies and had his starring feature last year in a comedy.

The thing is, I've never really liked this guy. Many years ago, I had a party when I used to live in a loft in the downtown L.A. arts district. This same guy walked in, grabbed a beer from my fridge, opened the bottle, and proceeded to flick the cap -- now, I don't know how to describe the process unless you've done or seen this before -- across the crowded room.

I was pretty pissed, but because I wasn't into confrontation back then, I just fumed about it. Actually, I fumed about it for a number of years. But then I was done with it. I don't know when, but I met the guy a few times and really just let it go. But, still, the feeling lingers on in the back of my mind. I guess that's how I am.

So I say hello to him, thank him for the compliment, and that's that. Not much more to say. Except the fact that a lot of Asian folks think he's the shit right now, and that's just fine with me.

Apparently, however, a few people saw his little gesture to me, and then started to think that I might be more important than I actually am. That's pretty frickin' funny, if you ask me. But yeah, a few people started to pay more attention to me than usual. I guess that's how celebrity works, right?

It's 2:35 in the morning right now. I have to wake up in a few hours for that Verizon fitting. Oh well. Guess I'm just a Hollywood Asian sort of guy.

No comments: