Sunday, July 17, 2005

Have You Ever

Have you ever felt like you had no control over the next word you were about to say? Like you were a puppet on a string and the strings were just cut. Or being plugged into the Matrix and then being unplugged all of a sudden.

Actually, for me, it's similar to being stoned and not having any control over what you might possibly say. Well, that's what happened in the course of the performance yesterday as the warm-up act for Cold Tofu's regular gig. Our class did a few exercises for the audience and, right now, I have absolutely no recollection of what happened. Ten minutes are a complete mystery to me. But I do know this: people seemed to love it. And they told me so after the show.

Now, I'm not so gullible and starving for praise that I'm looking for any scrap that might come my way. But yesterday really gave me a sense of the mind of the improv artist: Complete trust in the moment. And you're so busy being creative that you have no time to be worried or nervous.

I just hope I don't lose my marbles completely. Because that's what it started to feel like.

No comments: